I haven't been able to decide how to even begin thanking my friends and family. To say I am overwhelmed would be the biggest understatement of the century. O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.E.D. I feel loved in ways I didn't even know were possible. The first time I opened Facebook after the accident was about 3 am, roughly 12 hours after my accident. I hadn't posted anything at that point, but had been able to text a few people. I had known that people had expected to see me that night and not hearing from me, wasn't like me. I just read through the posts, comments on posts and comments on others statuses about me.
I just sat there and cried. It was the only way my body knew how to process how I was feeling. I wasn't sad, just overwhelmed. Between Facebook and text messages, I had a flood of messages. Intermixed with my tears, was the alarm on my IV, because I kept bending my arm and the alarm would go off. Nurse Sharon wasn't pleased, so as I mentioned before, after about the 4th alarm, I started throwing my phone in my purse when she came in, so it looked like I just bent my arm, not like I was on my phone. (Brianna = rule follower, usually). I only had the energy to like the posts, but it was my way of acknowledging that I had seen them and more than appreciated them. I didn't have words to thank people for their positive thoughts.
And that was just within the first 12 hours. It has only increased from there. I have read words that leave me speechless, had some of the most amazing meals made for me and visitors come by just to say hi. I have incredible people who want to clean my house, when I can't. I have a selfless friend who has moved in with me, to help me, but more to help Murphy. I have a few people who text me almost every day just to say hi and check in. I know not everyone can make big gestures, nor do I expect that, the smallest things are now making a huge impact on me.
My mom's analogy for this experience was that it was like my funeral, but I was here to enjoy it. It is the only way to describe it. (she is so smart). I think it is so true. Rarely do you have a reason to tell people how much you care about them, or how just share little thoughts. I am blessed to know who is thinking about me, sending me positive thoughts and will be here every step of my long recovery.
I think my injury is deceiving visually. My impression is that everyone expected me to have tubes coming out of me, lots of bruises and probably a frown or tears. I do have a broken pelvis and injured knee, but when covered with a blanket, I just look like me (and maybe a rude me, because I don't get up to greet or hug you). Otherwise, I am just me. Lacking any visual bruises, no tubes and a big smile. (At least that makes up for my rudeness in not getting up?). My gym community that has blown me away. Words can not express how much I appreciate their support in so many ways.
I got an email the other day thanking me for being positive, and for posting pictures of myself looking good. The reality is, the experience is probably just as shocking and scary for others, as it is me. I want people to know I am okay. I am a tad broken, but I can still move and my noggin is just fine.
I am blessed to have amazing people in my life. I am blessed.
Thank you to all of your in my life. Thank you.
(Meow! - Murphy says thank you too)




Great post. When help was pouring in for me, even before losing my job, I was thinking that sometimes, we have to go through something so awful in order for us to realize just how loved we are. As you are realizing, truly, I hadn't a clue how much people care. Honestly, I didn't think I matter so much. But I do. We do. Thanks for letting me be a friend and give back and help.
ReplyDelete