The day after I got home, I was "ready" to discuss Murphy. Between you and me, I was pretty sure Murphy wasn't going to make it through this. After taking him to Emergency Care on Wednesday (the day before the accident), I was a tad more optimistic, but he wasn't looking good. I felt better having him at the new 24 hour facility with internal specialists. Murphy is one of my babies. It hurts my heart that he was so sick.
My mom had been handling all of the conversations with the vet about Murphy after my accident. The short version was that he was getting better and as long as he had care (A LOT OF CARE) he could come home. There wasn't really a reason to keep him at the facility and it was more of a waiting game with his meds and feedings.
When I had checked Murphy in on Wednesday, they were toying with a few things that might have been wrong with him. Over the time that I was at Harborview, he was getting treatment too and it appeared to be working.
In order to pick Murphy up, someone had to go, with new insulin in hand, and an open mind to understand everything he would require care wise. I don't want to say the timing was good, because I would rather be able bodied taking care of my cat, but I was going to be home, and 90% of the time, someone would be with me, taking care of me - so bringing him home seemed logical. It was intense and I am really glad that my wonderful friend Cheryl (who is allergic to cats) and my mom and stepdad all went to get him. Lots of minds there to take in the information and learn what he would require.
Lucky for me, Cheryl was open to taking me and Murphy on as patients. Murphy came home and was immediately in my lap. Cheryl took on his schedule. Between Murphy and I, we were awake every two hours doing something or taking something.
After a few days, we got somewhat into a groove, with a white board of our schedule and lots and lots of alarms to remind us. I could do a lot, but needed help "catching" Murphy. And by catching, I mean pulling him out from under the bed. When he doesn't feel good, he hides. And most of my roll has been administering the stuff, and tube feeding, but not prepping yet.
Murphy's Schedule:
1:00 am - Water (15 mL)
4:00 am - Food via tube (55 mL) + Water (15 mL)
7:00 am - Water (15 mL)
10:00 am - Food via tube (55 mL) + Water (15 mL) + Crushed Meds in Water
10:15 am - Insulin Shot
1:00 pm - Water (15 mL)
4:00 pm - Food via tube (55 mL) + Water (15 mL)
6:00 pm - Water (15 mL)
8:00 pm - Oral pill
10:00 pm - Food via tube (55 mL) + Water (15 mL) + Crushed Meds in Water
10:15 pm - Insulin Shot
He's like a newborn baby (so I have been told).
Today, Murphy has gained 2 pounds, has decreased his medicine (and fingers crossed on Wednesday, even less). His hair is soft and healthy again. He is sleeping in the living room and being much more social. He has been playing with toys, and I can just tell he is feeling so much better. Next steps will be to reduce his tube feedings and getting him to eat on his own. He has always been a big baby, so fingers crossed he will be on board.
I am blessed to have a lot of help, which enables him to be here with his mama. I just love this little guy (and so does his brother Richie, even though he won't admit that).







zomg! <3 <3
ReplyDelete