Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tools to make life easier

I have been asked why I chose a walker, over crutches. And what else do I use to "make life easy." First of all, life isn't easy with these tools. I am working hard with what I have that are frustrating and annoying (to me and others) but whatever it takes. Each day, I am able to reach a bit further, bend a little lower.

1. WALKERING. [Wok-er-ing] verb.
a. To walk, using a walker.
b. Annoying

I chose a walker for stability. I have run into and hit my feet, usually when trying to move something out of my way. Overall, I have a kick-ass walker. Painted pink, with a basket (compliments of some great friends) and I like it. I am perfectly comfortable using it, just wish I could fit through a few more spaces. I take advantage of my able bodied parts and lift it, rather than roll it, most of the time. I don't get anywhere too quick and get hot just going to the bathroom. As someone pointed today, I am probably burning more calories than I know, just going to the bathroom. I am sure I will eventually go to crutches but for now, I like my hot pink walker.

2. ROPE PULL. [rohp poo l]  noun.
a. Contraption attached to my bed that enables me to sit up and lay down, without using my lower abs (which are on sabbatical)
b. Essential after a long day, or an interrupted night.

3. SPECIAL TOILET SEAT. [spesh-uhl toi-lit seet] noun.
a. My special raised seat (normal) with a cut out for my right leg brace (not normal).
b. Annoying to anyone who has to use my toilet because they have to use it
c. Annoying to me when people don't put it back, because I can't!

4. SHOWER STOOL. [shou-er stool] noun.
a. A single seat on legs in the shower
b. The ONLY way to take a shower

5. ACCESSORIES. [ak-ses-uh-rees] noun.
a. Hook for hand held shower
b. Handle for moving
c. Caddy for the essentials

6. GRABBER. [grab-er] noun.
a. How I turn the room light on and off
b. Not good for picking up the your cell phone or the remote, from the floor
c. How I can get things off my right ankle (underwear namely)
d. Great for grabbing my cat's leg when he is scratching his bandages

7. REMOTE. [re-moht] noun.
a. Entertainment

8. FAMILY. [fam-uh-lee] noun.
a. A basic social unit
b. Any group of related things
c. ESSENTIAL to my recovery, both emotionally and physically
d. Blessed to have an amazing blood related family, and a "choice" family
e. A group who shares in similar activities
f. People I love

9. FRIENDS [frendz] noun.
a. Someone who shows assistance
b. A person known well to another and regarded with liking
c. ESSENTIAL to my recovery, both emotionally and physically
d. What I am blessed to have so many of
e. A person who shares in one's activities
f. People I love

Stay tuned for more tools and essentials. :)

WALKER!


Rope Pull


Fancy Toilet Seat and Bath Accesories


GRABBER

No comments:

Post a Comment