Thursday, April 25, 2013

Murphalicious

While I was getting an update on me, Murphy was getting checked out too! Busy day in the Mark household! After Murphy's last visit, he had gained 2 pounds, had decreased his medicine, was sleeping in the living room, being much more social.

While I was waiting for the nurse to come with my brace, the vet called. All good news. Murphy was ready to come home. We were going to drop all medicines, except insulin and the liver support until it was out (like 8 more days). We were going to "starve" him for 12 hours so that he would become hungry and seek food on his own. And he had gained more weight. Overall, the vet was very happy with his progress.

I had decided to have the vet tech bring him home at the end of her shift, rather than going to pick him up. Honestly, I wanted a few hours off, not having to worry about where he was and what he needed to have shoved in his tube. Plus I was having a group of friends over and just thought it would be better if he came home late. Good choice for me. Murphy. Oh Murphy. Back in the day, Murphy ALWAYS peed in the carrier when he went in it. He hadn't done that since this whole thing started, but on this day, he did. Ha, lucky for me, he did it with the tech, not my mom. To most this would seem like he wasn't okay, but to me, this meant he was better.

He has been pretty good about eating (often only out of my hand, but eating). Still doing the afternoon and evening feedings by tube, insulin shots twice a day and a pill down the throat. Not too bad! His tube get get clogged and we had to take him back to the vet to clear it. Otherwise, he has been doing good. He definitely doesn't like his insulin shot, but I am learning how to do it with less pain for him (and me).

This week, he started jumping up on the bed again. It is high and takes a lot of energy for him. He also started jumping on the bathroom counter for water (yes, I let them drink out of the faucet) and in the last few days, he started meowing at me a little. All these little things seem so random but show that he is feeling more like himself.

Both of us have made a lot of progress. Yay!












No comments:

Post a Comment