Sunday! Sunday started with a visit from another doc from the Ortho team. She was nice and talked to me about my brace, my incision and encouraged me to stay in the hospital as long as I needed to, even though they kept telling me to go home. I was to be toe touch weight bearing for EIGHT WEEKS. Do you know what that means? I can't do anything. That doesn't even include what may come of my knee once I went to see sports medicine.
I must admit, my pain management over night was not great. My overnight nurse, who shall remain nameless, was not my fave. At all.
My day nurse was Mark (which isn't confusing AT ALL for other people) and my day nurse assistant was Ian. Two guys. I secretly hoped they were as good as Michael, who I had for 15 minutes my first day. My first conversation with Mark was about pain Meds. Bring them. Please. When they are due regardless of whether I ask, because I probably won't. I don't like to be a burden or inconvenience them, even though, yes I know, it's their job. Mark promised and he delivered, like clock work.
Sunday was also the first full day I was on my own to get to the bathroom. I could do everything except lower my leg to the ground. The physical therapist had given me a belt that I could use to lower my leg, which worked sort of. I had a really hard time stretching to get the belt around my foot, so it was sort of like fishing. A lot of misses. Ian ended up helping me once, a little too quick for my comfort level, but pushing me was probably good. I was starting to feel a little independent, other than not being able to do anything for myself. At all. But I could go to the bathroom!
Sunday was also the day my brother and Carrie were going to my house to clean and get it ready for me to come home. First of all, embarrassing. I didn't clean my house whatsoever before work on Thursday, or recently for that matter. Carrie is the cleaning queen, I wish I had that bone in my body. I am way more organized in work than I am in life. I am so grateful that they were willing to do this. They spent hours at my house - sending me videos of playing with my healthy cat (which made me cry) and a video of my new set up. They brought a bed and made the whole place safe for me. They made me an amazing little flower box too. Very popular among the friends. I love it.
Sunday was Easter. Evelyn was so excited to talk to her daughter Shay and hear about her grand kids and their Easter egg hunt. I was so sad to hear the conversation she had with her daughter. She basically blew her off, and made her call sound inconvenient. I felt horrible. She had been in and out of Harborview for 5 months and this was how her own daughter showed her she lived her? Ugh.
Luckily for Evelyn, Sunday was also when PartyBot visited. I am pretty sure PartyBot made her Easter. PartyBot made a lot of people's Easter, mine for sure. I hadn't laughed like that in a long time. Thank you PartyBot. I think the personal highlight of my PartyBot visit was him playing Chariots of Fire as I went to and from the bathroom.
I had so many visitors that day, it was just amazing. Thank you everyone who took the time to navigate Harborview to come and see me. It was basically agreed that I was going home tomorrow and I needed to prep for that. Most importantly, getting up three flights of stairs, no elevators. I needed to come home. I needed to see my cats. I needed to feel secure and not like I would be a bother for anyone. I needed to come home. Stupid stairs.
I worked with the physical therapist that day on stairs. Basically stairs were me sitting on the stairs, doing dips up, without someone holding my leg. Thank goodness that I was fit when this happened, because this was HARD. Obviously there was serious concern about me getting home. I arranged for my brother to come on discharge day and work with the physical therapist to make everyone okay with this route up my stairs. I also had my first wheelchair ride with actual sitting, not on a bed.
I mentioned it was Sunday a lot. Sunday stood out to me, it just felt like a day of accomplishments and a lot of happy. I usually spend Sundays at my gym, Happy Hour by Marisa (HHbM). I missed HHbM today, luckily they missed me too. They had an Easter bunny for goodness sake!
Good night Sunday, I'm going home tomorrow!



Eesh..all the partying has really caught up to Partybot. Looking pretty dented and scuffed. Glad you're feeling better...beep boop...beep boop!
ReplyDelete