Friday, June 21, 2013

Firsts

This week was a breakthrough on firsts for me. I have had a mental block on a few things, some super random, some not.

Walking unassisted is a clear front runner in this one. Just being able to do it, is nice

This week, I put on the jewelry I was wearing during the accident. Not because I was wearing it then but because I pretty much always wear the same jewelry. I wear the diamond earrings my mom gave me for my 21st birthday. I wear the silver ring I bought in Dingle, Ireland on a trip with my nurse and amazing friend Christina. I bounce around on necklaces, but I had been wearing my Grandma Ting's lucky necklace. It is gold, has a Jade clover and a cursive gold M. I only wear this necklace in March, because of St. Patrick's Day and Ting's birthday is March 18. For some reason, I had kept it on longer in the month than usual. I think I know why now. A few weeks ago, my mom asked me if I wanted my jewelry and I said no. I don't know why I didn't want it on, but I didn't. The poor stuff was in a Urine sample cup (it was the only thing with a secure lid in the Trauma unit). I hadn't even taken it out since the accident. So, now I have my earrings back in and my ring on. No necklace yet because I knew I would have to take it off for the MRI I had today.

This week, I used my blow dryer for the first time too. I have no freaking idea why I waited 12 weeks to blow dry my air, but I did. I was remind how much I need a haircut and color, but also how much I like my hair when it is dried with a dryer. Next stop, finding some reason to flat iron my hair!

Sweeping and vacuuming. I swept a few days ago and again today. I think being home so much makes me so much more aware of what the floors are like. That, and I am barefoot 95% of the time now. I vacuumed for the first time today. It was downright liberating. I loved it. And now I am just fine going back to having someone else do it, although something tells me I am screwed having just said I can do it.

Last night at my twelve week celebration, I walked to the bathroom alone and without a crutch. That felt pretty amazing, especially when all my friends were surprised, and proud of me.I walk at home quite a bit, but no one is watching me. I kind of feel obligated to start with, I am getting up and going to walk, without a crutch, and I'll be okay. Just so no one jumps up to help me (which does happen). :)

I have had a lot of firsts, but those are this week. Some more firsts I am looking forward to:
1. Wandering stores alone
2. Driving to anywhere alone
3. Going down the stairs without a crutch
4. Going up the stairs without a crutch (two items because they probably won't happen together)
5. Sitting on the ground without using the wall or furniture to get there
6. Working out
7. Going for a walk . . . and later a run
8. Getting off the toilet without holding onto the counter
9. Carrying more than 10 lbs of anything
10. Being spontaneous on anything

Here's to more firsts.




1 comment:

  1. BIG congrats! So happy to see your progress. You're a rock star. You'll have to show me the ring you got in Dingle and I'll show you the one I got in Waterford. I loved Dingle! What a lovely town. <3

    ReplyDelete