I remember when the doctors at Harborview casually explained my recovery timeline. No weight-bearing on my right side for 8 weeks, starting walking at 8 weeks or so, it'll take about 4 weeks to relearn how to walk and you should be good to go at 12 weeks. Bam! Healed, just like that.
I also recall every medical professional I have seen (doctors, physical therapist, chiropractor, my crazy in home nurse, etc) tell me I am healing faster than most and am lucky to have been in such good shape at the time of my accident.
Sitting here at 11 weeks, I find those conversations much more meaningful. First of all, it doesn't just happen. It is not like at 8 weeks, everything just worked. I went for a check up at Harborview at the 7 week mark and was actually cleared early to begin the process of walking. I would move from my walker to crutches and increase weight bearing by 25% each week. First of all, figuring out what 25% of my weight is, was bizarre. I purposefully hadn't weighed myself during this time, as to not get upset. I had worked really hard leading up to this accident to lose weight, eat healthy and workout; and didn't want the number on the scale to discourage me.
I have still been consistent about doing my at home exercises, which still in itself shocks me. I like going to physical therapy, I see progress and get kudos for my progress. Like a little gold star on my imaginary chart. I'm doing the work and its paying off. I eventually dropped to two crutches outside, one while at home. Last week, I dropped to one crutch home and away. Crutches are kind of like protective gear, it helps people see that I am injured and to give me some space. Some people. I would argue that the majority of society is oblivious and rude when it comes to people with crutches, walkers, etc. we are wider, we need some space and we are probably nervous you'll forget 10 seconds after we said excuse me, and you'll back into me. And if I'm walking with crutches, don't hand me a pen and then get impatient while I figure out what to do with them to sign something. Seriously. Maybe I should start an etiquette class . . . On life and not being rude.
Any who, I digress. Despite making lightning progress, according to my PT, I feel like, because of the darn agenda of healing I was given, that because I couldn't walk around like a normal person at 11 weeks, I'm behind. I'm not behind. I wall and furniture surf, often just walking near to feel like I have the support, but not actually touching it. I'm walking. I'm limping, but I'm walking. My knee is weak and it makes walking hard. I can't believe one PT said they couldn't help my knee until I had weight bearing status. I wouldn't be able to stand if I hadn't been working on my leg.
Learning to walk again is a strange experience. You assume it is physical, which to some degree it is, but it is way more mental. Mental walking. As I approach 12 weeks, it is interesting to think back to week one and what I was told I would be able to do, and what I am doing. That boggles my mind. Boggles.
Learning to walk again is a strange experience. You assume it is physical, which to some degree it is, but it is way more mental. Mental walking. As I approach 12 weeks, it is interesting to think back to week one and what I was told I would be able to do, and what I am doing. That boggles my mind. Boggles.




No comments:
Post a Comment