Monday, June 17, 2013

10 steps forward, 2 steps back . . . and a pain in my butt

Two weeks ago, I got news I wasn't really expecting. The knee surgeon I finally got in to see, wants me to have surgery. I kind of went just to check it off my list, assuming they'd agree with all other general opinions - that no surgery would really help me. Much to my surprise, I ended up at a doctor who is known for his research in young female athlete patella dislocations. He has a new procedure that has been really successful and thinks (pending an MRI) that I am the perfect candidate.

Timing wise, it is perfect. My pelvis is on its way to being truly healed (that magical 12 week mark) and that would time perfect with my knee surgery, which wouldn't have any weight bearing restrictions, just bending restrictions. So, I submitted the paperwork to get an MRI and said I would hear from them shortly to get one scheduled (one L&I approved it). Two weeks later, I am still waiting for the awful front desk staff at this doctor's office to even contact L&I. Yes, I have called and been blown off, saying it takes time. You'd think the hold up would be my case manager at L&I, but its not.

So I haven't really talked about the surgery, because at the rate I am going, it could be years before I get in. I exaggerate, but I think this delay, also has me delaying my excitement at being "healed" because I know that I am probably going back down again. Eventually. Bottom line, I am frustrated with this office (Bellevue Bone and Joint Physicians, for those curious about a place you should never expect any sort of customer service ever). I wish this doctor wasn't the best at what he does. I wish he wasn't a runner and understood what I want to be doing again soon. But he is and I feel he is the best choice.

On the flip side, I am making ridiculous progress in physical therapy. I feel like every time I go, my PT is amazed at one thing or another that I can do. I am really good about speaking up when something hurts or feels strange. Sadly enough, a lot of the pain is in my stupid knee that is waiting for surgery. My other pain, is in my butt. No, seriously. My Gluteus Medial is giving me a hard time about walking. My limp is mostly due to tightness deep in my glute.

By the way, pelvis breaks are personal. I never "really" thought about it but now that I have to explain where things hurt, it can be awkward. My groin hurts, what in the heck can we do about that? My glute hurts . . . want to dig your elbow in and make me feel better? Just awkward and open to suggestions.

Another area of progress is having started seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist for headaches. I haven't had a real headache in weeks, and already am able to scale back how often I need to go to the chiropractor. I was always weary of the chiropractor. I told the guy when I went, that I had never been before because I thought he could crack my neck, like they do in James Bond movies, and kill me. He said it would be a bad business model to kill patients, and laughed at my humor. Luckily, I have gotten used to the cracking, and I am still alive. We haven't touched anything near my pelvis, that remains off limits.

Now, I am off to wait for the darn doctor office to call me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment