So today I was drove past the accident site. You might think it is weird I feel the need to mention it, but it was in an area I NEVER go to, and have actually only driven past the location 2 times before (always with someone else) - and now a third (alone). I don't even know if I have ever mentioned where the accident was. The location, is actually pretty significant, especially after driving past there today and having a panic/anxiety attack.
I was driving today from a meeting at The Museum of Flight to my office on Queen Anne, which led me up Marginal Way/Hwy 99. The accident was at Marginal Way and Dawson St - a stupid little side street that has nothing of significance. I have had this idea in my head about what the location looked like and how it happened, and even more importantly, how lucky I was/am. The few times I have driven past, I was with someone chatting and tried not to make a big deal about it. Neither with me were people who truly know what happened so I didn't want to make a big deal, about how big of a deal it was for me to be there.
So, today, I am alone and take in every single foot of the road and its surroundings. I held my breath. My first observation was that a lane that I thought was a turn lane wasn't. Significant. My other observation was that most cars were cruising between 40 and 50 MPH. Significant. My third observation was that this is an industrial area. Duh. I know that and have known that, BUT this time I noticed the ridiculous number of semi trucks in the area. Significant. (still not breathing) I must say it is amazing at what and how quickly your brain can think about things, as this was all in about 20 seconds.
As I passed the site, making all of these observations, My heart started to race, my vision even went a bit blurry for a second, and my eyes started to well with tears. I finally breathed and the tears rolled down my face.
We were hit turning left across a lane of traffic that I had thought was a turn lane approaching a red light, when in fact it was just a regular lane. We crossed two lanes of stopped traffic into a lane where vehicles were going the speed limit (really, 10-15 above the speed limit). We were hit by a Toyota Tundra, and we were in a Lexus sedan. That Toyota Tundra could have easily been a semi-truck, and odds are, the cars behind it, were. Gulp. Let's just say, I am FUCKING lucky that I was met with a Tundra and not a semi. WHOLLY SHIT. Hence the panic attack, lack of breathing and tears.
I am thankful and grateful every single day that all I did was break my pelvis and dislocate my knee - and nothing more, because realistically it should have been more. My spine got shook up a bit, but no injuries. My knoggin' is just fine, my arms are fine, I can (now) walk. I wouldn't be singing this same tune if I had been met with a semi truck.
I am sitting here brought to tears again because the emotions of this accident are with me every single day. Sitting at just a week before the one year anniversary of the accident, I am eternally grateful for my life and those who have helped me on this journey. It is hard and I may be nearly done putting the physical pieces back together, but the emotional toll will live with me for a long time.
I am so freaking lucky, in so many ways.
XOXO
Brianna
No comments:
Post a Comment