Friday, August 8, 2014

Case Closed

I haven't written in a while and a lot has happened.

For starters, I passed the one year mark. It felt pretty monumental in my mind, I made a lot of progress in a year. People who I meet now, have no idea what by 2013 was like. Is that so bad? No, but I was asked recently why I still tell people about it. At first I thought it was kind of a rude question, and then when I thought about it, I understood. I think it is safe to assume that I would want to put this in the rear view mirror, FAR in the rear view mirror. But the reality is, it is still a part of my every day.

Here is a snippet of how:
1. I am still in pain nearly everyday. I sneezed this morning and it hurt my pelvis. Go figure.
2. I am still grateful. Every. Single. Day.
3. I still feel very blessed. Every. Single. Day.
4. This accident didn't JUST impact me physically.

That being said, I just have a slightly different perspective on each day. I give a bit more space between cars (not enough for 75 cars to merge, mind you); I take a deep breath when I see/hear about car accidents. I have more patience for situations regarding accidents (GAH, it is so inconvenient when other people get hurt in a car and RUIN my commute . . .  right? or not). Finally, I have to physically take things a bit slower sometimes. Yes, I work out often and yes, I experience pain almost every time I do. I just don't let it stop me.

Next, I traveled to Africa. Yup, you read that right. I even camped. I had a few instances where I let the fear seep in (mental side of my injury) and drive some decisions, but ultimately, I did everything I wanted there. I'll have to get another post up about Africa soon.

I think the most "final" thing that has happened since my last post is that my Washington State Labor and Industries case got closed. I knew this was coming, as I had been fighting for more coverage, probably through February. In early March, I decided that I probably needed to move on from fighting, as it was just too emotional for me. In April, I was told I needed to get final physicals for both my knee and my pelvis. I had JUST seen my knee doctor two days before but I had to go back.

I remember being really irritated because when I went back for the exam (it has been like 2-3 weeks), he had no idea who I was. I know they see a lot of patients, but I could hear him outside the room I was in (30 mins late mind you) and getting a debrief of my case. Just felt rude, step away from door! He spent a mere 5 minutes with me and I was on my way. I was pretty sure he would just say I was 100% healed.

Next, I had to schedule an appointment with an independent medical examiner for my Pelvis, as my regular family doctor (who had taken over the "care" of my pelvis) was not certified to do this. It turned into a tedious process where the receptionist at the location kept calling me Mark and leaving messages about "his" appointment. (don't worry, I made her feel awful when I showed up and to her surprise, I was female). The exam was quick and painless and I basically just chatted about all the things I can and can't do.

A few weeks later, I got a call from my case manager with L&I. I do have to say, I have had as wonderful of an L&I experience as you can. My case manager fought hard for me for a year, and got me everything I deserved within her power, and even begged for some extra stuff for me too. So, she called and (in many more words), that my case was being closed. Done and done. I am permanently disable in the eyes of the state (that is good) and if I ever have increased pain, I can open my case back up (yay!).

So, case closed. <insert Law & Order chime here>

I feel very lucky and blessed to be able bodied and minded to process this and look forward to more adventures!


1 comment:

  1. Tenacious B, you rock. You are more determined than ever to live life on your terms. I'm freaking lucky to have my friend alive and thriving. I want to hug so hard that you have to reopen your claim. Thank you for being strong.

    ReplyDelete