Thursday, February 27, 2014

11 months and Jogging

Thursday was 11 months from the accident. Fairly uneventful in the grand scheme of things, but nonetheless significant for me. Every day is significant to me, but I don't expect people to celebrate every month with me. (Feel free, don't let my lack of expectation change your desire to celebrate me!)

Just wow. Today was a big day for me. I chose to register for this specific race because it was the last running race I did last year before the accident. More than anything, I was simply proving to myself that I had the drive in me to do this. I 100% expected to walk the entire thing. Since last year, the furthest I have jogged is one side of the gym to the other, which isn't super far. I have done some cardio through step and spin, but absolutely NO running. None. 

As we were lined up, my pelvis was hurting. Just a low dull pain. I didn't have a great outlook on how this would go, although I kept both of those facts to myself. As we started, I just wanted to walk. I needed to get a feel for the wet cement, the people and the environment. I didn't haven't any issues with having to walk the entire thing; my ego has never been an issue in this experience. I still have a fear of crowds as you just never know what others might do. Finally, it was raining. After about 1/2 k, I decided I wanted to see how it felt to jog, and much to my surprise, it felt fine. We did some walking and Anh was just as encouraging as if I were competing in an ironman. I suppose this was a personal ironman. 

It felt fine. No seriously. I kept waiting and it kept being fine. The only pain were my muscles kinda pissed that I was trying this out having not run, jogged, wogged or anything for a long time. Hey now, what is this business? I just set small goals for myself and Anh helped me get there. It was 42 minutes of pure bliss . . . that I could do this. The weirdest part is that it still doesn't hurt, 12+ hours later. Of course I haven't been up and about too much, but I kind of expected to be limping. I am excited to see how I feel tomorrow. My muscles are sore, and that is a feeling I love. I worked for that. 










No comments:

Post a Comment