This experience has taught me to be grateful for a lot of things, and quite honestly, made me aware (and maybe a tad annoyed) of a lot of things. I don't mean to sound to rude with any (except the ambulance) of this. It is honestly just things I don't think I would have ever thought of before.
LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT.
Prior to this accident, I figured "friends/acquaintances" wouldn't care if I didn't say happy birthday (or whatever other milestone) to them on FaceBook. I am just one of hundreds or thousands, right? Wrong. I have read every single comment, message, email and look at every single FaceBook like. And every one means just as much to me as the next. So when you think something small doesn't impact people, you are probably wrong. They may not notice when you don't, but I promise they notice when you DO. This is a big lesson for me.
GET OUT OF THE WAY OF AMBULANCES.
Their sirens are on for a reason. Move. And by move, I don't mean, try and out run them. Stop, and pull over. The "someone" in that ambulance is probably in a lot of pain, and you not getting out of the way, could make a difference in their situation and treatment. The more an ambulance has to jerk around to get around you, the more that patient is jerked around. Please, just move. It is good Karma.
PEOPLE IN WALKERS MOVE SLOW.
Really slow, unless they have 4-wheels, then watch out. Using a walker is downright exhausting, and rushing is nearly impossible. So if you are walking faster, then just pass them. If you are a car, just go if there is enough space to go without hitting the person. It is embarrassing and frustrating to feel rushed, especially when you are already in pain and probably embarrassed about being young and using a walker for a nearly invisible injury. e
IF I DON'T KNOW YOU, I PROBABLY DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED.
Period. Don't ask, it's weird. (and I probably don't want to know every story of yours either). Sorry.
P.S. If I know you, this does not apply, I promise.
DOORS AND BATHROOM STALLS SUCK.
Doors are hard to maneuver and I have appreciated every person who has opened the door for me (even more if they don't ask what happened). And Bathroom stalls are like an obstacle course. Every notice that handicap stalls are often at the very end of a hall of stalls? Yeah, well, that is THAT much more energy I have to use to get back there. So, feel free to step out of my way, or not sneak into the handicap stall, when you see and hear me coming.
OFFERS.
I have had so many offers for help, especially in the beginning. I can't accept every single help at every offer, even if I wanted to. As time progressed, and I have still needed things, I have a hard time following up with people who offered to do stuff. Seems weird, but it is hard to say, hey remember 5 weeks ago when you offered to clean my bathroom, can I take you up on that now? So feel free to offer again, if you want and I will almost definitely be able to take you up on it. An offer is an offer, whether it was the day after my accident, or 8 weeks later. I want to see you.
And . . .That's my sassy contribution to today.
No comments:
Post a Comment