Saturday, May 11, 2013

All you need is love. . . And a cat (or two)

There are studies that show cats (well, probably all domestic animals) are healing. Don't ask me which studies or where they are, because I am just assuming. Cats get a bad rap. I don't get it. People walk around and say they HATE cats. I feel like that is like saying, I hate all people, or all brunettes, or something. It's so overarching, it's annoying. I'm okay with not being a cat person, but to just boldly say you hate something bugs me.

Secondly, you don't know all cats. There are nice cats and there are some real terrible ones, but when you have a cat and they help you heal, you love them. I am pretty convinced that Murphy and I helped each other heal. And Richie, albeit a tad bit of a grump to others, loves me with all of his kitty heart. So everyone reading this is hereby ordered to love Murphy and Richie. So there.

When I took Murphy to the emergency care facility the day before my accident, I actually thought that was going to be the last time I saw him. I made my mom drive me there with him, so I could sit in the back seat and hold his paw. I hate when animals are sick, you can't explain it to them and you can't ask where it hurts. They just look at you. So here I am thinking that Murphy is near the end, and then I get in this accident. That's it, I'm definitely never seeing his face again. . . At least that's what I thought. I had to out that out if my mind, and focus on getting myself better. No easy task. I asked my mom to be the contact for the vet until I was up for it. I couldn't even really ask for updates, because it was too much for me. And then there was Richie who was home alone, which NEVER happens. Luckily, I have amazing friends who take care of him/them when I travel and they started feeding him. Since I didn't know how long I was really going to be in the hospital, I had another friend come and hang out with him. He probably ignored her, but she was there if his grumpy ass decided he needed attention. Yes, you read that, I had a friend for Richie. What started out as a friend for Richie, became one if the most important people to me in this process. She's kind of amazing.

I've specifically not talked about people who have helped me, visited me, etc because I don't want to leave anyone out, even if they don't read this. It's like my Oscar speech, and would never want to miss anyone.

Back to cats and how amazing they are. They are. The end. Just kidding. :)

Emotionally, it has been harder to deal with Murphy's illness than my own injury. Strange to many, but since I don't know by asking him if he is okay, I just have to listen to him, or watch him. I remember the first time he snuggled me during this and his nose was wet. That is good and it made me so happy, I had to announce it to everyone here. When he started meowing again, I knew he was on the up. With his insulin, at first, he never fought the shots. Then as he started to feel better, he would cry like we were stabbing his with the biggest knife ever! (I would also like to add that the needles his insulin is being given with are tiny 31 gauge, like you almost can't see them. My needles were 16 gauge, which felt like the size of someone's finger). Now, he cries at the end, just to let me know, but doesn't fight me. He knows it is is good for him, or at least that is what I am telling myself.

My point is, my cats make me happy and I think their energy (lots of sleep) and their calmness make me heal. Their purring is pretty awesome too. They crack me up. They drink my coffee, try and fit in small places, look super cute sleeping, followed by a dramatic cat wrestling championship on the floor, followed by a nap. They entertain me when I'm alone and make me laugh all the time. I'm no crazy cat lady but I appreciate a good cat story or video.

So all you need is love (which I have a ton of) and cats. And I suppose a lot of time and patience are helpful as well. Meow.















1 comment:

  1. Cats are awesome and can be so loving. It melts my heart to see you with your fur babies. The first time I coaxed Murphy out from under your bed was totally for you but as I saw him with you I couldn't help but love him too.

    ReplyDelete