How did this happen? Well, let me tell you. Andrea and I were headed to Costco to pick up some treats for our event staff meeting. We came over the bridge on 99 Southbound when we realized we weren't in the right place. I pulled out my phone and started mapping it, and told her to take a left off 99 onto Dawson. As we waited to turn, there was a lot of traffic and we chatted about how rude it was that people don't stop, especially when the light ahead of them was turning red. Eventually two stopped and let a space for us to go. They both waved and we assumed that was a "your welcome" and so we went. As soon as we turned, I knew. And life went in slow motion from there.
A white truck was coming and quickly. And then loud, just loud. As I opened my eyes, I looked at Andrea to see if she was okay. It's a bit fuzzy, but I think it took us both sometime to realize. I couldn't really move but could see a phone in the center console and just started saying, call 911, over and over again. Andrea tried to dial but was in pain and couldn't look to dial. A man and a blonde lady walked up to the car and started talking to Andrea saying they had called 911. She just set the phone down and leaned her head back.
I started taking stock of the situation. My knee was starting to swell, I could feel the hot rushing and just stared as my knee as it welled up and stretched the pants I was wearing. During my time deep in thought, I could hear honking, lots of honking. I turned and Andrea was out of the car talking to the people. The guy got in and started talking to me. He held my hand and told me he was Tom and would stay with me until the medics arrived. He had me look at him, he checked my eyes, and just made chit chat. My legs were pinned between the door and the center console, and I hurt. My knee hurt, my arm hurt and I was glittery with glass.
Still the truck was honking. Too much honking. Then sirens....
No comments:
Post a Comment